Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The "Man" in Manhattan

Welp, another weekend, another disappointing first date.  This one held a lot of promise...tall, dark, handsome.  But as soon as I showed up and saw him wearing a plaid shirt with a button undone tucked into his ill-fitting jeans with loafers, I started to have my doubts.  There may have been a braided belt; I can't be sure.  This guy is the reason they invented the word fuddy-duddy.  There should have been a warning sign -- Caution: avoid all men who actually cultivate and groom a full beard. Never has someone so quickly made me (a well-educated, well-dressed, articulate career woman) feel like just another silly little girl -- in a bad way.  I found myself wondering, as I scrambled for the first possible cab an hour later, why God would waste a hot-guy face on that dude.  What a shame.

But, my spirits were lifted the next night when I went to see Eat Pray Love with R and J.  No, it had nothing to do with the movie (which R aptly described as self-indulgent and which I can only say was ok at best).  In the movie, though, the heroine sets out on her great (self-indulgent) adventure with nothing in mind but indulgence (of course), reflection, and exploration.  And, while it is unlikely that I will ever have the time and/or funding to waste a year in Italy, India, and Bali like she did, I saw a bit of what she was attempting to accomplish in my own adventure in New York.  Coming here had less to do with seeking love and more to do with seeking myself.  This led to the realization that my mother was right when she had said only a few days before -- "You know, you moved to New York to do whatever you want to, whenever you want to, not to get locked down in a relationship."  (Or something to that effect -- you get the gist.)  And that's the truth -- every man I've been out with is either too hot or too fat or too boring or too short or too strange or too enthusiastic or too self-centered...you get the idea.  In Eat Pray Love, Julia Roberts' character ends up finding a new lover in Bali (whom mass media has told me she later married and divorced just like any ordinary unenlightened schlep like the rest of us). The message being -- love is great, but nothing is perfect...or permanent.  And I am, quite frankly, not seeking a whole lot of permanence at the moment.  When it comes down to it, the only relationship I sought when I moved here was with the everlasting city itself.  And that, my friends, is going very well indeed. 

New York City inspires me.  It provides me with one fantastic night out after another.  It is always up for whatever I want to do, and it doesn't resent me when I stay in for the night.  It is always in the mood.  Without fail, New York City is still there in the morning.  It makes promises and keeps them.  There are moments that I stop mid-thought, mid-day, mid-stride and just marvel in the reality that I live and work in New York City.  I can't believe how lucky I am every time I recognize my city in 5 out of 6 trailers for upcoming films in the movie theatre.   The city is full of life and zest and vitality.  It is loud and energetic when I need it to be, but gives me plenty of quiet moments.  Even when it rains, New York never has a bad day.  It welcomes visitors, embraces my friends and family, and comforts me when I feel alone.  Maybe all of these dates seem mediocre because a mere man just cannot compete with New York City.  Maybe Manhattan is all the man I need for now. 

The view from my office window

Just a few of the places, both high up and low down, from which my main man can be best observed and appreciated -- for those who'd like to revel in their own relationships with the City:

Rare View (Rooftop)
Roof of the Affinia Shelburne corner of Lex and E 37th
Despite a few shortcomings (short drink menu, no food, and disappointingly average-looking clientele), this bar had a stunning view of the city after dark.  And fan-TAS-tic cocktails.  I would not hesitate to recommend the jalapeno margarita.  One side of the roof is quieter and the other a little more hopping, and it seems like a nice place for a small group or private event.  There is also an indoor component to this bar nestled in the hotel -- which had a faaaabulous shredded brisket quesadilla.  I am still dreaming about that quesadilla.

230 Fifth (Rooftop)
230 5th Ave (duh), corner of 5th Ave and 27th St.
As the night goes on, this place gets harder and harder to get into.  But, I came here around 6pm on the 4th of July (and hung around past our welcome for the fireworks), and it was perfect.  The crowd really didn't show up en force until about 9.  We had some really tasty appetizers, including these little sliders that were very flavorful.  Again, a great view of the skyline, with a particularly unobstructed sight line on the Empire State Building.


Red Sky
Near Park and E. 29th St. (NW corner)
So, this bar has a roof top.  It's small.  And it doesn't really have a good view.  But what is really dragging this place down is the Guidos that seem to flock like it's the Jersey Shore.  They were loud, crass, and underdressed (as in wearing to few articles of clothing).  Aside from that, the bar might have some potential, as it has three floors of bars and a variety of drinks and food.  Too bad about the clientele, unless you feel like slumming it.

Antique Garage
41 Mercer St between Broome and Grand
Despite the stuffy company, the potential of this restaurant/bar was not lost on me.  The front opens up garage-door style, bringing the open air indoors and providing a nice vista out onto a busy (during the day) SoHo street.  The food looked Turkish/Mediterranean and smelled lovely.  Too bad the date was too short-lived and awkward to allow time to try it.  They have a nice mix of cultural cocktails and basics.  This is one of the few places I've actually seen Pimm's Cup on the drink list.  The ambiance was cozy and bright -- and of course decidedly antique-y (is that a word?).  I am looking forward to trying this place again under slightly different circumstances.

Shoolbred's
2nd Ave between E12th and E13th St.
Scottish.  Very Scottish.  And very dark, which could be a good thing in the right situation.  But also open to the street on a nice night, with limited outdoor seating.  On a Sunday night, the vibe was pretty chill and all the basic favorites were available.  The bartender made me a rather strong Hendrick's and soda, in fact.  But, he didn't use a cucumber if that means anything to you.  All in all, not a bad spot, and definitely a front-runner for familiar neighborhood bar.  Good place to pick out the locals and get to know them. 



Republic
37 Union Square West
Right on Union Square, this cute Thai/Vietnamese place upped the ante around 8pm and tried to turn into a clubby bar.  Don't know how that normally turns out.  But, for dinner, the place was good.  Pretty basic fare for a Thai/Vietnamese place -- vermicelli, the obligatory duck, and Pad Thai.  And reasonable prices.  In terms of people watching, though, the small window counter can't be beat due mostly to the location.  Even on a dark and stormy NYC evening, a parade of characters waltzed by, providing plenty of conversational fodder for the down moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment