Monday, August 9, 2010

Who Needs Boyfriends When You've Got Girlfriends

I have been thinking for a while about what to write for this blog entry, which I do realize is a long time coming.  There have been some man-related events that have happened since I last wrote.  But, for some reason, I can't muster up enough fire over them to actually write about them at the moment.  The truth is that there is something that is energizing me more these days, something I have been feeling more passionate about than boys:  Girls!  Haha -- not that way.   Come on, now.  I mean my girlfriends -- back in Cleveland, here in New York, and scattered about the country.  It's their facebook pages I stalk and them I think about when bizarre things happen randomly throughout the day.  My two best friends from law school (back in Cleveland) are BOTH engaged now (congratulations!!) with one wedding coming up very soon.  My excitement and joy over those events far outshines my feelings for any man in my life (aside from my dad and brother, of course). 

I just spent the weekend carousing with my old friend, R, and some brand new ones, J and L.  The high you feel when you can look at a group of girls and honestly know that you'll be good friends for quite a while is better than any first kiss or first date.  It's the girlfriends that sustain you and support you and make you feel whole and loved in this big and bustling city, whether they are down the street or across the country.  It is those relationships that are worth the work, the sacrifice and the expense.  It's girlfriends that bridge the gaps between men and jobs and cities, who span the gaps in our own heads between fantasy and reality by bringing us back to earth when our heads are in the clouds and by sometimes knowing what's best for us better than we know ourselves. 

I think that, in the fog that "love" puts us in when there is a man involved, we sometimes forget how valuable and essential our girlfriends are to our lives.  But, when I think about it, I can't imagine loving any man as much as I love my girlfriends.  I suppose that, when I do, I'll know I've got something worth holding on to.  But, until then -- I'll take the girls.  The lovely, witty, caring, devoted, hilarious, wild, generous girls that color my world and breathe life into each day. 

Maybe not the funniest blog ever -- but definitely the most honest.  Here are some of the "hotspots" we hit this weekend -- all of which I remember as being a ton of fun -- but maybe that was due to the company...

Angelica's Kitchen
East 12th Street between 1st and 2nd Ave
Organic and vegan, with some Asian flavor in spots.  I am told their miso soup is not only gluten-free but "the best I've ever had."  I ordered the seasoned tempeh and salad -- which was decent, but not fabulous.  And I heard raves about the hummus.  I am still loyal to Souen (see reference in an earlier post), but this place was bigger and BYOB, which is less convenient but more economical.  They were very accommodating, though, and even put our second bottle of wine in the fridge until we could get to it (not all that long after finishing the first, if we're being honest).  We had to wait a while to be seated despite having reservations, but we did have a big party of 6 or so. 

Stanton Public
17 Stanton Street between Bowery and Chrystie
This pretty basic pub-ish bar on the LES was the meeting up point for our wild night on the town.  A great little neighborhood bar, it had character and outdoor space.  And for beer lovers, I hear the selection is great.  their Citron and soda wasn't bad either. :)

The Anchor
310 Spring Street near Greenwich Street
A smallish bar come club, with decent dance music and a collection of good-looking English dudes (who may or may not have been gay -- sometimes the line between homosexual and European is a little bit thin and hard to detect).  Identifiable only by the anchor medallion hung above the doorway, a group of decent looking girls should not have a difficult time getting in.  If I remember correctly, the drinks were a little watery, but the dancing was unbelievable.  Courtesy of us, of course.

Friedman's Lunch
Chelsea Market across from the food gallery-ish area
Brunch the next morning (or afternoon, rather) was phenomenal here.  No only did they have a great gluten-free menu for my new gluten-free friend, but the food was all around amazing.  I had a quiche that was really something special with Parmesan and sun-dried tomatoes.  But, the side salad that came with it was the real pleasant surprise.  Our waiter Charlie was adorable and efficient.  I can't wait to go back here for lunch or brunch again.

The Great Lawn
Central Park behind the Met at 85th-ish
Free people watching, sport spectating, lounging, picnicking and general lazy Sunday-ing.  Nothing in NYC is quite as relaxing or quite as green as the great lawn on a Sunday afternoon.  A blanket, a book and couple of girlfriends make this almost as good as a trip to the beach, with less salt and more clothing.  You are not a New Yorker until you sunbathe on the Great Lawn.


No comments:

Post a Comment